Qualifies for free shipping over $50
Foundroot has partnered with Joyya, a beyond Fair Trade company in West Bengal, Indian to make these beautiful bags. Joyya is on a mission to help spark meaningful and lasting change with the communities in which they live and work. Read more below.
We have bags! The cutest bags. They are big enough to deal with a load of groceries but small enough to be a daily tote bag. The organic cotton canvas is thick but not so thick so the bag itself is half the weight. We put a gusset at the bottom and a small metal button at the top. They are light, sturdy, sustainable, and as we farmers insist: deeply practical. Oh, and they are hand screen printed using water-based inks with our roots image from our seed packets on them. Is this your new favorite bag? Probably.
40 x 40 x 12 cm
100% GOTS certified organic cotton and water-based inks
World Fair Trade Organization certified
SEWF verified Social Enterprise
ABOUT OUR BAGS
We searched long and hard to find a bag maker and printer that aligned with our company's ethics and Joyya has gone above and beyond. They work in places affected by extreme poverty and modern slavery to create lasting change. Here are some of the values they hold:
- Living wages for all employees.
- A workweek with hours that are respectful of their employees family lives.
- Professional development and management opportunities for all employees.
- Access to retirement and health plans including early interventions such as clean water projects, drop-in health clinics, and medical screening. Interest free medical loans are available in emergency situations. Health education and emotional support services are also provided.
- Interest-free loan program for paying down debt and Joyya has a free community legal center that provides education on rights, entitlements, and advocacy in the legal system.
- Literacy and money management classes are available to communities and funds are provided for school fees, uniforms & books for children. There are classes outside of school for children to focus on areas in which they are struggling. Joyya provides relevant targeted vocational training, job readiness, and assistance with documentation to prepare people for the actual job market within their communities.
Joyya employees live and work in the neighborhoods they serve. They look for small ways to love and support one another towards common goals. Poverty is not just economic. Relationships and interconnectedness have the power to bring real meaning and joy. Joyya hosts events, outings, exercise classes, parties, and social groups to connect with their neighbors and build stronger communities together.