Dimensions: 10 x 8 inches
Author Beverley Gray is a boreal herbalist, aromatherapist, natural-health practitioner, journalist, and an award-winning natural health-product formulator. She owns the Aroma Borealis Herb Shop in Whitehorse, Yukon just north of our border near Haines, Alaska. We loved this book and relied on it heavily for years before we moved nearby. This is still considered the preeminent guide for herbalism in the north. An indispensable resource in our home.
Note: Foraging can be a dangerous hobby. Please learn from an experienced guide before collecting plants on on your own. This book is a wonderful resource but it is not a replacement from a well-seasoned forager.
FROM THE PUBLISHER
The Boreal Herbal: Wild Food and Medicine Plants of the North is an indispensable guide to identifying and using northern plants for food and medicine. Whether you're hiking in remote areas or gardening in your backyard, this easy-to-use handbook will help you recognize and use 55 common wild plants that have extraordinary healing properties.
With the Boreal Herbal you will learn how to sooth pain with willow, staunch bleeding with yarrow, treat a urinary tract infection with bearberry and create a delicate and uplifting skin cream from sweetgrass. Also included are dozens of healthy and delicious recipes, including Wild-Weed Spanakopita, Dandelion Wine and Cranberry-Mint Muffins.
The Boreal Herbal Features:
- Profiles of dozens of herbs, berries, and trees found in the northern boreal forest: including information on their habitat, harvest times, medicinal applications, as well as food uses, cosmetic uses, and spiritual uses.
- Full-color photographs and botanical illustrations of each plant profiled in the book for easy identification.
- Instruction on how to gather and preserve wild plants.
- More than 200 recipes: teas, tinctures, powders, flower essences, topical treatments, beverages, jams and jellies, baked goods, soups, entrées, and much more.
- Safety tips for harvesting and using edible and medicinal wild plants, including information on calculating dosage and plant-specific cautions.
- A resource section for people interested in starting up a non-timber forest-products business.
- Botanical and medicinal glossaries, an index, and handy reference charts.
The absolute go-to guide for learning about wild plants in the north. We have loved this book for many years.